Wheels and Coconut Wheelies

All about wheel design, performance, and wheel-making.
Beau

Wheels and Coconut Wheelies

Post by Beau »

This is an oddly specific topic, but I recently learned about the importance of a radial-lip wheel when doing coconut wheelies. (A coconut wheelie is when you ride on the edges of your wheels: https://youtu.be/FwhPuJ-cSms)
I was riding a 95A, more square-lipped offset wheel that I really liked. However, I recently started skating the Waltz Snakes (https://www.waltzskateboarding.com/skat ... 54mm-h8ch4), which are 99A and offset with a radial outer lip. I feel like my coconut wheelies have really improved from this wheel change. I also like how these wheels feel a bit more like traditional street wheels.

Has anyone experimented with wheels for coconut wheelies? I honestly have not - I used to ride mostly Spitfire and Ricta until I switched to offset wheels for doing more freestyle. Curious what others may have found, but hopeful that this post will at least be helpful to someone else trying to learn this fun trick.
Maxten

Re: Wheels and Coconut Wheelies

Post by Maxten »

I have 3 different offset wheels I have on rotation. While I'm not the best at coconut wheelies, I have noticed that the wheels I'm best with are the Decomposed 53mm Ghost/mantis wheels and those have a radial lip.
The other wheel I have is the Decomposed 54mm Ghost writer wheels. Although they are not as square as other offset wheels I've seen I think those are a bit more difficult to coco than the other ones.
The last wheel I have is the Moska Per Canguru 55mm wheel. Even though they are square, they have an interesting taper to them. I actually don't run in to any issues other than them being heavy. After all, they were the wheels that set the record for world's longest coconut wheelie.
I have a roller skate wheel that is all the way square and I haven't even bothered attempting coconut wheelies with those. I'd rather stick to what I know feels easiest.