Wheelbases

Truck design, construction, and performance.
Maxten

Wheelbases

Post by Maxten »

Technically, the true wheelbase of a skateboard is measured by the distance of the middle axle of the wheels. I believe this is how wheelbases on cars
are measured as well. However, skateboard wheelbases are labeled differently spec-wise because while car wheelbases aren't adjustable, different will trucks vary in geometry so it makes more sense to measure it by the distance of the inner truck holes instead. For all of my trucks I've ridden/gotten a hold of I've used this axle to axle measuring method to gauge how differently the axle placement varies. All measurements are in inches and are done lined up on a 14.25 WB, which is the industry standard for popsicle decks. In addition, changing the size of a truck doesn't necessarily equate to changing the geometry. Although, it is possible that it could change the height. For instance, on a Thunder Sonora, the 147= 50.6 in height while the 148 =52.3. However, for the most part I'd say the measurements I made were the same no matter the size.

In addition, here is an extra spread sheet of other various measurements with other trucks.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
If you go to tactics' website, https://www.tactics.com/trucksthe product description has specs as well.

My measurements:

Caliber Standard 8.0 (Screwed in both inwards) = 16.5

Avenue Suspension trucks = 16.7

Ace 44 = 17.0

Krux K4 7.625 = 17.125

Royals = 17.125

Tensor Mag Light All Terrain Geometry 5.25 = 17.25

Tensor Mag Light 5.0 =17.25

Independent Stage 10 139 = 17.3125

Independent Stage 11s 139= 17.375

Caliber Standard 8.0 = 17.375

Gullwings Mission 1 (8.375) = 17.375

Team Thunder 145 = 17.5

Venture Polished Low 5.0 = 17.625
Last edited by Maxten on 10 Feb 2021 19:35, edited 3 times in total.
Beau

Re: Wheelbases

Post by Beau »

Wow, this might be the most useful information I've ever seen posted publicly about skate trucks! Did you create the Google Sheet, too? I think it'd be super helpful to have a diagram showing where all those dimensions are on an actual truck to help others understand the measurements.
I've honestly not considered skate truck geometry too much and just focused on trucks that would last me longest, and design my decks around those (since I don't do much grinding these days, trucks typically last me several years).
Thank you so much for sharing this information! This is awesome!
Maxten

Re: Wheelbases

Post by Maxten »

I didn't create the sheet. I think I actually found it on reddit one day.
I'm not sure who created it and honestly some of the numbers I'm still trying to decode what they mean to this day lol.
I will say, a truck that has a shorter wheelbase typically pairs best with steeper kicks because they level out the pop angle.
You'll see people who are on mellower boards use venture lows a lot because since those push the wheels more outward it allows them to get more pop while maintaining a mellow concave feel.
The Height of the truck/wheel combo and kick length can play a factor as well. I've seen guys on Flat toy machine decks use thunders with riser pads and I've seen people with thunders and steep kicks but with tiny wheels.