Bug Reporting

SK8CAD user group
Beau

Bug Reporting

Post by Beau »

If you find a bug with SK8CAD, please report it here so the issue can be addressed and resolved. Thanks!
Amaury

Re: Bug Reporting

Post by Amaury »

Hi Beau,
Was testing out the new features with tub concave and kick concave. Everything works well even the contours view however, when adding truck holes and bore holes I get the following issue :

Hope it can help (did the test using safari browser).

[EDIT]
I did another test and the issue is linked to the concave kicks as you can see on the next screenshots, it's the same model just changing the checkbox for the concave kicks:

Cheers
Beau

Post by Beau »

Hey Amaury - can you send me the rest of the specs? Screenshots work fine. (Working on a solution to export specs in CSV format, hope to have that live very soon.)

I'm playing around with the specs you have provided, and seem to get a female mold issue with certain combinations of wheelbases and nose/tail lengths. Will look into that for a resolution. Most often, the female mold is the culprit of a bug (I recommend showing the "female" mold to check if there will be a bug; then, make tweaks to the "model resolution" or "kick concave" parameters to see if that helps. If that doesn't resolve it, you may need to just tweak another parameter by a small amount - sometimes even 0.01" is enough. Obviously this is not ideal and I am working on eliminating these bugs, but that may be a quick fix for now.)

Also, I see you are using "," instead of "." for decimals - it seems like that hasn't given customers any trouble in the past, but might be a simple fix.

Here's a summary of quick tricks to resolve bugs (until I'm able to edit the code to remove them):
1) Use the "private browsing" mode in your browser and refresh the page. Click the "</>" tab in the top right of the SK8CAD screen and verify you are using version 1.3.5. Using private browsing helps prevent cached files being used instead of the latest versions.
2) Tweak the "kick concave resolution" parameter to see if that can fix the model.
3) Tweak the "model resolution" parameter to see if that fixes the model.
4) Adjust wheelbase, nose length, tail length, transition length, or kick gap by a small amount to see if that resolves it. (You can also try the other parameters, but it seems like these are more often the cause.)
5) Model with the female mold showing by default; most often, any bugs are due to a problem with the female model. (The board renders more slowly, so the female model will provide the fastest troubleshooting.)

Thanks for letting me know, and I'm working to eliminate these bugs with certain parameter combinations as soon as possible!
Amaury

Post by Amaury »

Hi Beau,
Did some testing based on your recommendations and it does work.
I thought that using a width over 10” was the issue but it is works fine now. I tested different wheelbase or mold dimensions as well as mold thickness. I only have issue now with the kick radius. I attach full specs and testing results.
Beau

Post by Beau »

Thanks for sharing! I took a look on my end and confirmed the issue.
Cause: The female mold is generated by subtracting a male mold from a block. This works most of the time, but occasionally the subtraction process doesn't work quite as intended with certain combinations of parameters (as you see here).
Resolution: To resolve this, I plan to reduce the amount of subtraction operations in the generation of the model. My target for completing this is sometime this summer.
Short-term Resolution: I suggest tweaking the tail radius by a small amount (0.1") in either direction, as you will likely hardly notice the difference (if at all). Actually, it seems adding just 0.05" to the radius (to 6.05") is even enough to eliminate the bug. Alternatively, you can adjust the kick gap - simply reducing that from 1" to 0.99" is enough to fix the bug as well. (I know this isn't ideal, but it could help you move your project forward without sacrificing the feel of the geometry you're looking for before I get a chance to update the code.)

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for your patience while I work on the better solution!
Amaury

Post by Amaury »

Thanks a lot Beau, I intended to help improving the code as the solution is already fantastic.
As you mentioned those tweaks of the radius or gaps are more than enough once you know you can do it to solve the “issue” and won’t be felt as so many others parameters in the pressing process will influence the end result.