Section download of male molds for 3D print

SK8CAD user group
Felix

Section download of male molds for 3D print

Post by Felix »

Hi Beau,
I'm having trouble exporting sections of male molds. For example, if I say that my section is 11 by 11 inches, then I can download the female molds in the correct size. The male molds, on the other hand, are shown to me in the correct size, but somehow the total size of the mold seems to be stored in the file, which is why my 3D printer thinks that the part would be too big. I've tried different programs. All show me the overall size clearly too big.

You can easy see it, if you download a section on windows and open it with 3D paint. There you can see die section and the outline of the complete mold.

All the best,
Felix
Beau

Re: Section download of male molds for 3D print

Post by Beau »

Hi Felix,

Hmm, I think I understand your problem: the male mold sections appear fine visually, but the program you're using to view them tells you the file is dimensions are larger than 11" x 11", even though it appears the correct size?

If that's correct, I've seen this happen once or twice, where there's a bug that causes a small mesh artifact to be created off in the distance somewhere. So, it looks like the file is totally fine, but on closer inspection, there's a very small piece of the model off in the distance. This doesn't always happen, but can happen with certain combinations of parameters.

I'm sure this is frustrating and am happy to help. First, can you download the CSV file of your specs, and then paste them here? I'd like to see the exact parameters you are using so I can replicate the issue on my end.

If you'd like to troubleshoot yourself in the meantime, here are some different options to arrive at a fast solution:

1) Download the entire model (not in sections), and then split the model into sections in a 3D printer slicer software. I use PrusaSlicer, which has a built-in split tool (https://youtu.be/LUEuLylKpHo). PrusaSlicer is free to download. You can also export the sliced STLs from PrusaSlicer, so if you're not 3D printing on a Prusa or are CNC cutting, you can still use the STL.

2) Try to repair the mesh. Again, this is an option in PrusaSlicer (https://help.prusa3d.com/article/corrup ... nting_2205).

3) Tweak parameters in your mold model. Sometimes just changing a parameter value by 0.01 (or even less!) can be effective at removing bugs. You can start with parameters that won't affect the shape of your board first (mold height, mold width, notches, mold length, etc.)

I know this not ideal, so please do send me the full specs here when you get a chance, so I can better understand what's happening.

If I'm misunderstanding the issue, please forgive me and try to attach or link to a screen shot of your issue.

Thank you!

- Beau
Felix

Re: Section download of male molds for 3D print

Post by Felix »

Hi Beau,

sorry for my late response! Thanks for your extensive answer. You understood my problem correctly. I have now tested some settings and was able to solve the problem. If I disable the truckholes, alignment notches and the mold bores it works.

Thank You!!!

All the Best
Felix

CSV Data:
SK8CAD Version,1.4.0
Tue Oct 11 2022 19:39:22 GMT+0200 (Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit)
"display_item","0"
"display_inches",false
"mold_length",34.5
"mold_width",9.5
"mold_height",2.875
"mold_offset",0.875
"mold_holes",true
"truck_hole_diameter",0.1875
"make_notches",true
"notch_size",0.5
"model_res",8
"print_width",10