Squared off edges for nose (or tail)

How board shapes affect performance - share ideas and feedback on size, concave, profiles, and all your geometric curiosities.
Maxten

Squared off edges for nose (or tail)

Post by Maxten »

For the longest time I wondered why for freestyle decks, a lot of single kicks specifically, were a bit rounder at the nose. I always figured, wouldn't a squared off nose = easier pogos/truck stands? What I have discovered is that, yes, this is true, but you wouldn't be able to do anything as well at an angle. It pretty much keeps you doing them straight. This is because once you hit the sharp corner it becomes less forgiving. Whereas, if it were rounder it'd be more forgiving. I realized, Most Single kicks/freestyle decks don't necessarily have an emphasis on being squared off, but rather they have an emphasis on not being pointy. One of my favorite tricks, the casper spin is an example of how a sharp corner = more difficult. I have to keep the board laying flat/more straight when I spin. I believe the logic/physics is similar to how it is easier to coconut wheelie with a more radial profile vs a square one. The squareness requires you to be more precise with the angle whereas its easier to stay in it when its rounder because it doesn't feel tippy.
heres an example of those sharp cornered noses I'm talking about - https://imgur.com/a/nW7MnNE
and heres an example of what i believe to be more optimal - https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/cont ... ormat=500w
Despite all of this, I believe this type of shape for a tail is beneficial for tricks like tail blocks or a simple no handed 50-50s. If you have the desire to keep straight with those types of tricks then this is good. But for me personally, Although it looks really cool I don't think its the most versatile shape. This is why I'd recommend it for a tail instead so you can use your nose for that other stuff, unless you don't care for stuff like casper spins!
Maxten

Re: Squared off edges for nose (or tail)

Post by Maxten »

Maxten wrote: 10 Feb 2021 19:16 For the longest time I wondered why for freestyle decks, a lot of single kicks specifically, were a bit rounder at the nose. I always figured, wouldn't a squared off nose = easier pogos/truck stands? What I have discovered is that, yes, this is true, but you wouldn't be able to do anything as well at an angle. It pretty much keeps you doing them straight. This is because once you hit the sharp corner it becomes less forgiving. Whereas, if it were rounder it'd be more forgiving. I realized, Most Single kicks/freestyle decks don't necessarily have an emphasis on being squared off, but rather they have an emphasis on not being pointy. One of my favorite tricks, the casper spin is an example of how a sharp corner = more difficult. I have to keep the board laying flat/more straight when I spin. I believe the logic/physics is similar to how it is easier to coconut wheelie with a more radial profile vs a square one. The squareness requires you to be more precise with the angle whereas its easier to stay in it when its rounder because it doesn't feel tippy.
heres an example of those sharp cornered noses I'm talking about - https://imgur.com/a/nW7MnNE
and heres an example of what i believe to be more optimal - https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/cont ... ormat=500w
Despite all of this, through time it could wear out and up feeling better and I believe this type of shape for a tail is beneficial for tricks like tail blocks or a simple no handed 50-50s. If you have the desire to keep straight with those types of tricks then this is good. But for me personally, Although it looks really cool I don't think its the most versatile shape. This is why I'd recommend it for a tail instead so you can use your nose for that other stuff, unless you don't care for stuff like casper spins!
Beau

Post by Beau »

I made a twin-tip squared board when I first got into board building thinking it would be helpful for freestyle and I arrived at basically the same conclusion - the flatness was fine for 50/50s (not really a significant improvement for me), but it made rail flips so challenging! I vaguely recall flip tricks also feeling a bit different/off. I also remember thinking it felt really nice for carving, as my feet felt very secure on such a wide tail. (Here's that board: https://ifthenventure.files.wordpress.c ... g_2336.jpg.)
Have you ever cut the end of a popsicle deck? I've seen a few freestyle skaters do that, and one of my customers has a board with cut ends that he really likes, which appears to help him achieve the benefits of a flat nose/tail with the rounded taper needed for maneuverability: https://www.instagram.com/p/CE2ZTryl_6P/
That's also a double-kick - do you think the nose/tail angle affects the point at which the nose/tail shape becomes too sharp? (Like, would a slight kicknose help "soften" the sharpness of a blunted nose more than a single-kick? Or would it make it feel even sharper?) I've noticed my rail flips being off if I use a board with steep kick angles, even if I keep the rest of the shape/setup nearly the same. Though, I'm not sure how much I'm biased based on the shape I've practiced with the most (is it subjectively challenging based on my own experience, or objectively challenging?)
Maxten

Post by Maxten »

I have cut the ends of a popsicle deck. I've found that since popsicles are usually pointy, the width of the flat area is never that wide (unless you want to REALLY shorten the kicks or you're altering a shape that is already full) so the squareness never really stays and wears out fast. The final product after cutting would definitely look like that ouiji board. I guarantee if I skated Ricky's shape without skids, within a session or 2 it'd round out.
Because the squareness never stays, I've been just barely rounding it out whenever I do it now. https://imgur.com/shguNCl Heres how the one I'm on right now looks like. It has a really mellow kick degree and concave and I think its the perfect amount of flatness. However, when a tail is too full I find that certain scoopy tricks become more difficult. Theres a reason why a lot of street decks have really tapered, pointy tails.
I haven't found that cutting it like that ever felt too sharp. perhaps because I've really only done that to older boards that were already worn out. Or, its because its only flat in the middle whereas the edges of it are round or tapered. I know square ends don't roll well for rail stuff but if its tapered enough/has a deep enough cutout or is rounded along the corners (like the one I linked) i think its ok.
but Do you think your rail flips feel off because of the steep kick angle or the exaggerated curve along the rail from the concave going to the kick?