Symmetric vs. Asymmetric

How board shapes affect performance - share ideas and feedback on size, concave, profiles, and all your geometric curiosities.
Beau

Symmetric vs. Asymmetric

Post by Beau »

I'm curious about what people prefer - symmetric or asymmetric skateboards (referring to nose/tail symmetry). What do you prefer?

My input - it seems like most boards are asymmetric, with a longer, steeper nose than tail. I found that I could skate pretty much the same on either end, but would have to make minor adjustments with flip/ollie tricks on the asymmetric boards, and I would wear the boards down unevenly. Since skating symmetric boards, it seems like I can skate them longer (no uneven wear) and I can be more consistent (I don't have to think about what end of the board I'm on).
Boarderants

Re: Symmetric vs. Asymmetric

Post by Boarderants »

I have always road an asymmetric board and have seen your skating style and how having a symmetric board does give you the freedom of not being bound to one side. I don’t see you throwing a shove after some tricks to get back to the tail or other similar methods because you are always on the tail. It looks better because you don’t have to break your style just to prep for the next trip. I just took the board building workshop yesterday and made my first symmetrical board. I am very excited to see how my style adjusts to this new shape. I like my tail and have no need for a special nose so why not have two amazing tails