Measuring Boards.

Tips and info for board builders.
Maxten

Measuring Boards.

Post by Maxten »

I want to measure the concave drop, Kick angle, Nose/tail taper, and Radius of the boards I already have for reference. How do I go about doing that?
Beau

Re: Measuring Boards.

Post by Beau »

I am getting this question a lot lately, and I plan on doing a video for this to explain it since it can be a little confusing. Sorry for the delay here, but I'll come back and post the video when it's up!
J1A

Post by J1A »

I'd love some tips on this also :)

I've always been a bit confused about whether the measurement (e.g. length) is taken directly from tip to tip (through the empty space above the deck), or following the shape of the board, which would return a longer measurement.
Same goes for width - taking into account the concave curvature or not.

The main implication for me here is when drawing the shape of the board to transfer on to a blank - assuming kicks at one or both ends.
For instance, if I've got a printed out shape at 32 inches long, lay it down on the molded blank and cut it out, the resulting board is gonna be shorter than 32, tip to tip.
On the flipside, I've seen people use a flat wooden template to guide a router, in which case if the flat template is 32 inches long, the the resulting board will be 32 tip to tip, but longer when following the curves.

More of a brain dump than anything - but would be great to know what is the standard way of doing things :)
Beau

Post by Beau »

@JIA @Maxten I finally put together a video about this (sorry for the delay): https://youtu.be/pFxpMGMop-Q